Spelt and Protein Scones
A protein-filled alternative to a usually carbohydrate dominated treat. Your taste buds won't believe this recipe is low-sugar, not to mention packed with protein. Try mixing it up with savoury flavours.
1½ cups plain spelt flour
½ cup Just Natural or Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 220¬∞C (200¬∞C fan forced)
- Sieve flour, protein and baking powder into a bowl. ¬†Rub butter into sifted ingredients until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut sugar and milk and combine until mixture is soft but not sticky (mixing with hands is best but a spatula will also work)
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and knead into shape until just smooth. ¬†Try not to overwork the mixture or the scones could become tough. ¬†Flatten dough out to about 4¬†cm and use a round cutter to cut scones starting from the centre and working your way out. ¬†Cut slightly higher rounds from left over dough.
- Place rounds on a lined oven tray with sides just touching. ¬†Brush tops with a little milk before placing them in the oven for 12-15 mins or until golden.